1999/07/13

Bad Girls S1E07 : Playing With Fire

Playing With Fire 玩火自焚

Learn and Know:這一集有趣之處,在於充滿著讀書和學習.Denny學認字就罷了,她已經會唸雜誌.Nikki不斷地在讀書,連Monica都一起去上課.最厲害的是一干劇中人,全部都去聽Shane講園藝學.但學到最多的卻是Nikki,她終於在課後了解到Helen要嫁給Sean:"Well, you learn something new every day." 當然,Nikki會上課,也會授課.她用最原始的教學方式點醒一直搞不清楚狀況的Helen:"You wanna know what this is about? It's about this."

或許玩火的人不只是Shell,Nikki將心意毫不防備,赤裸地呈現給Helen.如果Helen只是個純粹關心犯人成長的典獄長,Nikki的一切作為將視為魯莽無禮.她孤注一擲,干心成為火炬,只待Helen願意張眼邁步,便能向光明處蔔匐前進.

在中國文學中,會用異地共享一景,或同做一事,來表現二人的緊密的連動,例如:「海上有明月,天涯共此時」,或是「我住長江頭,君住長江尾,日日思君不見君,共飲長江水」.這一集開頭的四個平行剪輯鏡頭,就很有這種意味.


當Helen著絲質浴袍,裹著剛洗淨的秀髮,從透天厝二樓打開百葉窗(open your eye)迎接初起的晨光,同時間,Nikki已經梳洗完畢,從她圍著欄杆的小窗,急切地等待Helen從大門口走進來.



Helen看著鏡子,摸摸眼角.從她一邊開車一邊上妝的習性來看,她擔心魚尾紋,可能更勝於化妝是否完美.



Nikki站在鏡前,檢視今日的妝容,最後再刷上了睫毛膏,讓眼神看來閃閃動人.她是個拉子,也是個女人,誰說短髮高個子就得束胸素顏?在充滿絕望,和自我放棄的監獄中,她堅持一定的容貌自覺,希望Helen看到的她,是自信而美麗的女人.

*以前曾看過一項全球調查,如果妳只能有一項化妝品,妳會選那項?記得台灣女孩會緊握口紅不放,而意大利女人的最愛是睫毛膏.如果是The L Word的Shane,恐怕就是眼影.在下則是沒有粉底萬萬不行.有網友表示受不了Nikki使用睫毛膏,我倒認為Bad Girls的化妝劇組,應有其階段性的目標.像第二季後的Nikki,臉頰瘦下來,化妝劇組便配合起淡妝造型.

在Helen的庭院中,出現本季Helen-Sean最後一場恩愛互動.
Helen: Hey, I bet you're pleased I roped you into this talk. 我認為你會很高興我抓你去演講.
Sean: Mmm. 嗯
Helen: They're dead keen, just be gentle with them. 她們會很感興趣的,要善待她們.
Sean: Well will they be gentle with me? 她們會善待我嗎?
Helen: Course, you'll love them. 當然,你會喜歡她們的.
Sean: You're beginning to sound like their mother. 妳開始聽起來像她們的媽媽.
Helen:Oh please. 拜託
Sean: I think you'd make a pretty good mother. 我認為妳會是個很好的母親.
Helen: So you keep saying. Sounds like an early mid-life crisis coming on. 你一直這樣說.好前中年危機提前來臨.
Sean: No. I just think it'd be nice you know, to be a bit normal. You know; kids, wedding, engagement. In whatever order you want, of course. 我只是想,如果可以關係再平凡一點會更好.像是孩子、結婚、訂婚.當然,順序由妳決定.
Helen: Is this a proposal? 這是求婚嗎?
Sean: Well what do you think? 妳說呢?

Helen: That's me off! Bye babes. 我要出門了!再見,親愛的.
Sean: Well, hang on a minute! I ask you to marry me and you…what; you throw on your coat and shoot out the door. 等一下! 我請妳嫁給我,妳卻匆忙穿上外套,奪門而出.
Helen: I'm in a hurry. 我在趕時間.
Sean: Well am I gonna get an answer or not? 妳到底會不會答覆我?
Helen: I can't believe you're this possessive. Remember when I asked you to move in with me, you took a month to decide. 不敢相信你佔有慾那麼強.記得當初我要你搬進來,你花了一個月考慮.
Sean: So? Things change. Look, if you really don't fancy it, that's ok. I'm not gonna bulldoze you into anything. 情況不同了.如果妳不想,沒關係.我不會逼迫妳.
Helen: Sounds like you are.你聽起來就像是逼婚.
Sean: Ok I am. Are you trying to give me a complex, hmm? 好吧,我就是逼婚.妳不會讓我難過吧?(Sean的行為語言上也有圍堵的意味,他把Helen抱住,靠到桌櫃上)
Helen: Oh I love you. 噢,我愛你.(Helen吻了Sean一下.聰明的女人沒有正面答覆,用吻當作緩兵之計)
Sean: So marry me. 那就嫁給我.
Helen: Can we talk about this later? I've really, really got to go. Bye darling. 可不可以晚點再談?我真的得要出門了.再見.

在獄中沿著教室外牆掛著勵志標語:"You may lock me up you may throw away the key, but you can never take away the greatest freedom of all – my imagination. 你可以將我禁閉,把鑰匙丟掉,但你無法奪走最大的自由--我的想像力" .但是 "imagination" 一字被塗改為"valium".這是鎮定劑的品牌,也是獄中人用以脫離現實桎梏的方法.Zandra是其中之一.Shell在上一集已經發現了進貨管道,此刻正糾集Denny等著分一杯羹:
Denny: What kind of business? 要去做什麼事?
Shell: Lucrative. 賺錢的事.

同時間,Nikki與Monica抱著課本從另一邊走來.閒聊中,我們第一次聽到Nikki的家庭狀況.
Monica: You ever hear from Trisha? 崔西亞沒再和妳聯絡?
Nikki: Well, I had a couple of letters but they've stopped now. 我收過幾封信,現在已停了. 
Monica: Don't you keep in touch with your parents? 妳不和父母聯絡?
Nikki: I left home when I was 16. They didn't like my lifestyle if you know what I mean. 我16歲就離家了.他們不喜歡我的「生活型態」.妳知道我的意思吧.
Monica: Do they know you're in here? 他們知道妳在這裡?
Nikki: It was in the papers. It just confirmed everything they thought about me. 報上有登.只是驗證他們對我的偏見.
Monica: You're a lovely girl Nikki. Why don't you write, try and make contact with them? 妳是個很可愛的人,尼琪.為什麼不寫信,試著和他們聯絡.
Nikki: What, like play happy families? Not like you and Spencer. 扮演幸福家庭嗎? 我們不像妳和史賓塞一樣.(是因為太早失去家庭溫暖,導致Nikki對別人常採取防禦的態度?)

Shell假借拯救孕婦為名義,把Zandra室友支開,毫不手軟地抄截禁藥.Shell從Zandra的床墊挖出一管裝藥的口紅:"Never had Miss Rose down as a lipstick lezza. 從沒想到羅絲小姐是個P"

lipstick一般是指feminine lesbian,比較女性化的拉子.Shell在此處的說法是個反諷,因為Lorna一看就是偏T,只是拿口紅這件事來作文章.至於Nikki到底是T還是P?美版第一季DVD包裝上的介紹詞是用lipstick,如果是與Helen相較對照,Nikki絕對是偏向玉樹臨風.但這或許能解釋為什麼第一季裡,Nikki的化妝較濃.其實T/P的界線在Nikki-Helen的外表與心理並不是很明顯,就像時裝一樣,新生代流行的是混搭風.

Spencer來探視Monica,出現不祥的預兆.Spencer不斷咳嗽,變的削瘦.Monica遲遲無法出獄,讓Spencer覺得惱怒,逕自怨懟離席.



Monica向Nikki抱怨起會見Spencer的不順.可憐Nikki連訪客都沒有,還得安慰Monica.
Monica: It was like.....like he was scared of me. My own son.好像....好像他很怕我.他是我的兒子.
Nikki: It's all dead strange to him Monica, he'll get used to it. Give it time. 這對他是全然陌生的事,他會習慣的.給他些時間.
Monica: For God sake, I don't want him to get used to it.老天,我並不想讓他習慣.
Nikki: Look, at least you've got a date for your appeal. 聽著,至少妳已定下了上訴的日期.
Monica: Well I thought I had. I haven't seen my lawyer in weeks, not a word from him. 我以為定了.但我好幾週都沒見到律師,連個消息都沒有.
Nikki: Well get onto him, tell him to pull his finger out. Tell him you want a meeting, phone him. 那就去找他,逼他行動.告訴他妳要見他,打電話給他. 
Monica: I don't want to hear bad news. Don't think I could bear it.我不想聽到壞消息.怕承受不了.
Nikki: Fine. Just sit around moping for the next three years 'til your parole board meets, that'll cheer Spencer up. 好吧.妳就坐著枯等三年後的假釋.那還真能取悅史賓塞.

Nikki是唯一敢用激將法教訓Monica的人.這是劇本的一絕,在第一季最後一集,Nikki指責Monica不該自殺逃避,罵得不但讓Monica自覺慚愧,我更是跟著掉眼淚.因為Monica上訴成功,整個獄中人心受到鼓舞,一向與犯人同心的Helen,同時感受到這種震撼,才能勇於向Sean坦承不愛他.

如果打不過敵人,那就加入敵人.Zandra成為Shell的成員.把Lorna引到廁所威脅.Lorna原以為Helen知道Zandra暫時脫逃一事,就可以不再受到威脅.可惜,凡走過必留下痕跡.Shell推門而出,拿出Lorna的口紅管作為新的武器.Lorna辯稱是因為Zandra不舒服,但Shell兩三下便解決她.
Shell: Brings tears to your eyes that does. All that care and attention for Zan'ere. And you know who's gonna believe that don't ya? No bugger. 妳竟會為此流淚.這麼關心照顧珊德.妳以為誰會相信?鬼才相信.
Lorna: Shell, please. 雪兒,拜託妳 (真不敢相信,獄官倒求犯人)
Shell: It's all right Miss. We really appreciate what you're doing for us. Fact, all the girl will tell you, Miss Rose has got an heart of gold. Course, we are gonna have to take advantage of this generous nature of yours. Otherwise, well… I don't think I need to spell it out. 沒關係.我們很感激妳為我們做的一切.每個女孩都會說,羅絲小姐最慷慨了.當然,我們想就妳慷慨之舉,占一點便宜.否則...我想就不用往下說了.

Helen以前在內部會議總是獨立對抗保守舊勢力,這一集Dominic加入,成功壓制另一方意見.
Helen: So now we can install a TV and video in the visitors' centre.我們可以在會客室裝上電視和錄影機.
Bodybag: The Officers' Mess needs a new carpet. 員工餐廳需要新地毯.
Helen: Yeah, well this money's for the women's welfare Sylvia, not for your club. Right, now I see that we've got a vacancy on G3, I'd like to put Nikki Wade up there.....Well, don't all talk at once. 這筆錢是用在婦女福利,不是給妳的俱樂部.現在三樓有空房,我想遷入尼琪.魏.(現場一片沈默,太驚人嗎?).....我不會再說第二遍.
Jim: Wade, on Enhanced? Are you joking? 魏,到升等廂?妳在開玩笑?
Helen: Obviously I'm not, Jim. Lorna, you're Nikki's personal officer, what do you think? 很顯然我不是,吉姆.羅娜,妳是尼琪的個人獄官,妳的看法呢?
Lorna: Yeah, fine. 很好.(Lorna根本心不在焉)
Bodybag: Fine? She's worse than ever since she was put on that University course. 很好?自從她進入空中大學,她比以前更糟.(真是睜眼說瞎話)

Helen: No one is denying that Nikki is difficult.不可否認,尼琪很難處理.
Jim: So Helen, what exactly are you trying to prove? 所以,海倫,妳到底想證明什麼?
Dominic: Look, Nikki Wade's a pain in the arse. But recently, well you got to admit....尼琪.魏是麻煩人物.但最近,你得承認....
Bodybag: A few weeks' good behaviour and she gets the run of the place. 只是幾個星期表現良好,她就不得了啦.
Dominic: Oh, we all know you won't be in favour of anything Sylv. 我們知道妳對任何事都不順眼.(Dominic 說得好!)
Bodybag: Excuse me! 什麼話
Jim: Come on, hang on, let's just calm down. 好了,別動怒,冷靜下來.

Dominic: We've tried everything with Nikki; nothing's worked.我們對尼琪已試過各種方法,都不管用.
Helen: Exactly. I don't want to pass on our problems to another institution. Not until I know that we've done everything we can. 沒錯.我不想把問題推給另一個單位.除非我們己竭盡全力.
Jim: Well the Number One's not gonna like it one bit. 大老闆可能一點都不喜歡.
Helen: Once you get round to telling him all about it I'm sure he won't. 那就等你告訴他吧,我保證他不會介意.(Helen 漂亮反擊!)
Dominic: Look, we can all see the difference in Nikki since Helen's been in charge. She's more accommodating, she's keen to get on with her work and now she's studying. I mean Christ, I even got a “hello” from her the other day and that's all down to Helen. 自從海倫上任,我們可以看到尼琪的改變.她變得親切,願意工作,現在竟然在進修.我說天呀,前幾天她居然向我打招呼.這全歸海倫的功勞.(這段話...稍微馬屁了一點)
Helen: Well we're going round the houses a bit here, let's move on to the next item. 我們繞著這個題目很久了,來討論下個題目吧.
Bodybag: What are you after, a gold star? 你所為何來?金星勳章嗎?

會議之後,Jim很不爽Dominic不再同一陣線,兩人對Helen的管理方式起了爭執.英勇正直的Dominic拚了命進行反擊.
Dominic: Yeah well, there's a lot worse than Nikki Wade about. Shell Dockley for a start. 這裡有更多人比尼琪魏還要糟糕.頭一個就是雪兒杜.
Jim:Shell? She's harmless. 她沒有威脅性.
Dominic: Yeah, there's never anything you can pin on Shell. Makes you wonder if someone's tipping her off. 是啊,從來沒有一件壞事可歸咎雪兒.真讓人會以為背後有高人指點她.(這句話真是講得非常白了,只差沒說出Jim就是背後的高人.)

Monica為Spencer打毛衣,而Nikki皺著眉頭,很努力地準備功課.此時卻由Bodybag搶走Lorna的任務,要執行Helen的指令.
Bodybag: Get your stuff together, you're moving. 把妳的東西收好,妳要搬家了.
Nikki: Why, what the hell for? 為什麼,在搞什麼?
Bodybag:You're moving to G3. 妳要搬到3樓.
Nikki: G3? You winding me up? 3樓?妳是作弄我嗎?
Bodybag: Miss Stewart's instructions. You've obviously made a very favourable impression in certain quarters. Well maybe you can fool Miss Stewart, but you can't fool me. I've been in this job too long to have the wool pulled. 是司徒女士的指令.妳似乎在某些地方表現討喜.或許妳可以愚弄司徒女士,但妳騙不了我.我是這行老手,可以識破妳的羊皮.

Nikki: Fifty years now isn't it? 15年,對吧?
Bodybag: Never mind comments, just hurry up. I'll be watching you Wade. One wrong move. 別耍嘴皮,趕快動手.我會看著妳,姓魏的.別走錯任何一步.


Nikki侵入到了Shell引以為傲的地盤.
Shell: What's going on? 怎麼回事?
Nikki: Say hello to your new next-door neighbour. 向妳的新鄰居打招呼
Bodybag: Come on, come on, keep moving. 快點,快點,繼續走.
Shell: You what? She can't move up here. 什麼?她不能搬到這裡.

Nikki: This it? Very nice. Oh, lovely curtains. Oh, nice duvet cover. Mmm, luxury. No wonder everyone wants to get moved up here. 就這裡?很好.嗯,漂亮的窗簾.嗯,床罩不錯.嗯,很高級.難怪每個人都想搬上來.(藍色窗簾可不是隨便挑選,它出現二次.象徵安定的力量.Nikki確實在藍色的影響下,按捺許多.)
Shell: Miss...長官...
Nikki: And erm, is it true that we can go anywhere we want? 是真的嗎,我們可以去任何想去的地方?
Shell: Miss, that ain't fair. She tried to kill me two month ago, she should be on Basic with the other psychos. Miss...長官,不公平.二個月前她還想殺我.她應該在一樓和其他瘋子關在一起.長官....
Bodybag: Don't whine at me Dockley, as if it's my bright idea. 別向我發牢騷,杜.這又不是我的鬼主角.
Nikki: Seems like it's the governor's decision, Shell. 看起來是典獄長的指令.雪兒.

Shell: You must be shagging her. 妳一定是和她有一腿.(人總是照自己的經驗去推測別人的情況.但是Shell為什麼之前沒去抹黑Rachel, Monica?)
Bodybag: That's enough Dockley, clear off. 夠了,杜,閉嘴.
Shell: Well she must be, how else....她一定是,要不然....
Bodybag:Anymore of that and you're on report. Scram, now. 妳再胡說就要被打報告.現在滾回去.

大家都說Nikki被Shell質疑當下的表情實在是太有趣.原本還是自信的笑容,一瞬間拉了下來.雖然Nikki遷入3樓,並非出於Helen的私情,但是被別人公開說中自己內心深處的想望,Nikki的愛慾已經無所遁於天地之間.接下來的每一刻都是瀕臨表白的邊緣.

沒多久Helen來關心Nikki搬上來的情況.
Helen: Hi. How you settling in? 妳安置得如何?
Nikki: Fine. Great view. Feels different being up here.... officially. 很好.景觀很棒.說真的.....在樓上真的感覺不同.
Helen: Nikki, I'm sure I don't need to spell it out, but being on Enhanced does have its responsibilities. You know that, don't you? 尼琪,不需要我明說,在升等廂要有相對責任.妳明白吧?
Nikki: Yeah. 是.
Helen: I need to know that I can trust you. 妳得讓我信得過妳.
Nikki: I promise to behave myself. And say my prayers before I go to bed, all right? Look, I'm not very good at this sort of thing… but thanks. Thanks a lot. 我保證守規矩.一定會睡前禱告(這不是Helen想聽的)....我不擅長這種情況....但是謝謝,真的很感謝.(很少見到Nikki溫柔話語,這已經是她對管理階層的極限)

Helen往前走去,鏡頭仍然正面看著Nikki低下頭來,我猜她在默數著Helen離去的腳步.果然,她忍不住轉頭目送.


題外話:我突然想起有二部電影在處理這種情況,堅決採用不回頭的方式,反而更強化了情緒張力.一部是Martin Scorsese馬丁史柯西斯的<The Age of Innocence 純真年代 (1993)>.這是他所有作品中,我最喜愛的一部.Olenska夫人駐足在海邊,Archer望著她的背影,心裡想著如果她轉回頭,他就要如何如何....其實她知道Archer在後面,她卻始終沒有回頭.電影改編自第一位獲普立茲文學獎的女作家Edith Wharton作品,可參考這篇原著評介

另外一部是近期的<Brokeback Moutain 斷背山>,鏡頭盯著傑克下垂的眼神,一動不動,背景則是恩尼斯裸身沐浴.這二段都是壓抑糾結,卻迴腸盪氣.


Shell假惺惺過來敦親睦鄰.Nikki仍手不釋卷,努力功課.
Nikki: Yeah well, you stay out of my way and we'll get on fine. 我們井水不犯河水,就能相安無事.
Shell: What's this about? 這是什麼?
(*Shell拿起的書是Great Love Poems,它只是一般的情詩精選.可能是Nikki進修課程的讀本,當然也不無可能是她暗戀情愫的抒發.)
Nikki: Put it down. 把它放下. 
Shell: What's in it, lesby love poems? 裡頭寫什麼,拉子情詩?
Nikki: Put it down and disappear. 把它放下,離開.
Shell: That ain't very nice. I only came in to say hello. 這很不友善,我只是進來打招呼.(Shell惡意打翻一罐可樂,馬上觸怒Nikki的敏感神經,又想抓住這女人,再打一架.)
Nikki:Bitch! 賤女人!
Shell: Well go on then, hit me. What's the matter dyke, are you scared? Want me to spill some more? 來打我啊(Nikki想起她的重責大任,只好放開Shell).怎麼了女同志,怕啦?要不要我再倒一些.(惟恐天下不亂的女人)

還好Dominic適時出現,保護好人.
Dominic: What's going on? 出什麼事?
Shell: Thanks Nikki, I was parched. 謝了,尼琪,我正口渴.(把倒翻的罐子拾起,假裝成是喝飲料)
Dominic再次沒抓成現行犯,眼睜睜看著Shell囂張而去.但他是有耐心的,決心守株待兔.

Dominic: Neat place you got here. 這裡佈置很好.
Nikki: Yeah well, it's the first rung on the ladder. Not a lot of storage though. 這原本就是最好的囚房.但收納空間還是嫌少.
Dominic:You know who you got to thank for this, don't you? 妳知道這些都要感謝誰吧?
Nikki: Yeah, the governor. 是,典獄長.(Nikki可能想說,我謝過她了)

Dominic: She's shown a lot of faith in you. 她對妳期望很大.
Nikki:I don't know why. 我不清楚原因.(妳敢說妳不知道?少騙人.)
Dominic: Just don't cock it up, yeah? 別搞砸了,嘢?
Nikki: What's going on? Suddenly the place is awash with nice screws. Bodybag will be bringing me cups of tea next. 怎麼了?這個地方突然出現一堆好好獄官.難不成Bodybag下次會為我奉茶.
Dominic:Goodnight Nikki. 晚安,尼琪.
Nikki: ‘Night Mr McAllister. 晚安,麥先生.
Dominic關起房門.Nikki再度拉起藍色窗簾.她可能要能感謝這個顏色,讓她安然度過Shell的挑釁.

但是Nikki的藍色安定,還沒幾天,馬上要被Sean的紅色炸彈引爆.Sean要來上課,手上拿一個紅色箱子,Helen此時居然穿起紅襯衫,二個人站在一大片紫紅色的門牆.危機一觸即發.
Helen: Sean! Come on! 西恩!快點!
Sean: I'm coming. So do you think they'll like me? 我來了.妳認為她們會喜歡我嗎?
Helen: A posh git banging on about plants? Listen, if things do turn nasty then you can always push the panic button on the classroom door. For God sake, joke! 一個優雅的小蠢蛋滔滔不絕講著園藝學?如果場面變得失控,你可以按下教室門上的的緊急按鈕.天呀,是說笑啦.(我們後來看到那是在白板旁邊的紅色按鈕.那個按鈕不是給Sean求救用的,反而像是用來警告Nikki.)

Sean拿起二塊長出細根的植物來說明,Shell和Denny在教室後排不斷嬉笑那像男根hairy balls,大家的上課情緒大受影響.連Monica都出口想制止她們,Nikki也出手了:
Nikki: Shut it Shell. Some of us are interested in this. 閉嘴,雪兒,我們有些人有興趣聽.
Shell: Yeah? And some of us are interested in hairy balls, we know you're not. 嘢?我們有些人是對毛球有興趣,我們知道妳是沒性趣.

Nikki決定不理她們,轉回頭請Sean再多講一點.此時Denny以上廁所拿衛生紙為由,再度中斷課程.Nikki終於逮到機會,壓制Shell的氣焰:"You wanna go give Denny a hand? Be a first, cause usually Denny wipes your arse. 妳要不要幫Denny一臂之力.因為通常是丹妮幫妳擦屁股."

下課後,Sean和Nikki有場山雨欲來的話家常.
Sean: Have you got a garden at home? 妳家裡有花園嗎?
Nikki: I haven't got a home. Maybe one day. 我沒有家.或許有一天吧.(等到Nikki搬進Helen她家的那一天)
Sean: Well if it's got a garden, I owe you a few hours weeding. For the support. I was dead nervous. 如果妳有花園,我欠妳幾個小時的除草.來謝謝妳的幫襯.我緊張死了.(Sean用了有趣的對價關係,可以類推:如果妳有游泳池,我欠妳幾個小時的消毒清潔...)
Nikki: You were great. 你講得很好.

Helen走進來.她就像給槍桿子上膛,只等Sean來扣板機. Helen: So how did it go? 上得怎麼樣?
Sean: It was Hell. I thought about using that panic button you mentioned. Anyway, home time. And you're doing the cooking. 如在地獄.我真考慮要去按妳說的緊急按鈕.不管了,該回家了.妳得煮飯.(Sean最大的缺點是在外面很想表現得大男人,好像是他住進Helen家的反作用心理)
Helen: Sorry, didn't Sean tell you? He's my partner. 抱歉,西恩沒提到嗎?他是我的伴侶.(這是為了表現gay-friendly嗎?刻意用partner一詞)

Nikki還沒適應剛剛的意外,Sean馬上再補了一槍.
Sean: Well you won't be calling me that for much longer. She's just asked me to marry her. Forced me to say yes. 這個稱呼不會用太久.她才向我求婚.逼我娶她.(這種男性優越感,用過火了)
Helen: So, how did you enjoy the class Nikki? 妳喜歡這堂課嗎,尼琪?(Helen覺得尷尬,想要轉移話題.)
Nikki: Well, you learn something new every day. 妳每天都可以學到新鮮事.(此事非彼事,可憐的Nikki一臉失落....)

次日,Nikki在園藝坊,像是洩恨一般直擣著培養土.Helen 悄悄走進來.
Nikki: Here comes the blushing bride-to-be. Kept that quiet didn't you? 害羞的待嫁新娘來了.妳真會守口如瓶?
Helen: Sean had just asked me to marry him. Not that it's any of your business actually. 西恩才向我求婚.這與妳一點關係都沒有.
Nikki: Why are you telling me then? 那妳為何告訴我?
Helen: I really don't know but I certainly don't have to explain myself to you. 我不知道為什麼,但我沒有必要向妳解釋.(難不成,Helen只是想拉攏住盟友?)
Nikki:Fine. 很好.
Helen: You know, for some odd reason it seems to upset you, Sean and I getting married. 有種奇怪的原因,似乎讓妳不高興見到西恩和我結婚.(她終於察覺異狀)
Nikki: Odd reason? That's a good one. 奇怪的原因?說得真好.
Helen: Nikki, what the hell is this about? 尼琪,到底是怎麼回事?
Nikki: You really don't know? 妳真的不知道?
Helen: If I knew, I wouldn't be asking you, would I? 如果我知道,就不會問妳了?

Nikki: You wanna know what this is about? It's about this. 妳想知道是什麼原因?是這個.(Nikki拉住Helen的左手,用手按在自已的心上)
Helen: Jesus Christ! 天呀!(Helen對突然之舉,簡直嚇壞了,死命抽回後,與Nikki無聲地對望了半晌.)


關於Nikki的舉動,有人認為太過原始,有人用breast來形容按住的位置.我並不認為那是Nikki的下下策.以她而言,很多感情表達已經盡在不言中,但Helen還是不解其意,顯然Nikki要用最簡單的方式表白.Nikki從不會說溫柔婉轉之語,她只會罵人,或是說露骨的氣話(第二季中的 I want to make love to you all night long),此刻她最好的選擇是身體語言.她要Helen來感受「是我的心在受傷」=It's about my heart.

Helen驚嚇之餘,內心波濤洶湧,無法定心工作.決定找Nikki,像文明人一樣地互相溝通.其實是Helen不想深究,要就此打住.
Helen: Take a seat. 坐下來
Nikki: Look, I'm sorry, I was out of order, I was just....對不起,我違反規定,我只是...(Nikki知道闖禍,乾脆先來認錯)
Helen: I don't care what you were Nikki. You'll understand if I'm blunt. Now I know that you're a lesbian, and you're comfortable and so on with that. But I'm a heterosexual and I'm gonna get married very soon. I find your behaviour inappropriate; you seem to want to go out of your way to make me feel uncomfortable.我不管妳做什麼.妳知道我有話直說.我知道妳是女同志,很坦然自己的性傾向.但我是異性戀,而且快要結婚了.妳卻舉止不當,想要逾越份際,讓我很難堪.(Helen把對方的下台階都罵掉了)

Nikki: Why would I do that? 我為什麼要這樣做?
Helen: I like you Nikki. I've encouraged you to do a degree; I've put you on Enhanced. But everything that I have done for you, I have done for professional reasons. Now I can assure you that's the case. 我欣賞妳,尼琪.我鼓勵妳進修.讓妳住進升等廂.但我為妳做的一切,都是基於專業考量.我可以向妳保證只是這樣.(講得好像全都是Nikki一廂情願的幻想)
Nikki: Fine. If you say so. 好吧,妳說了就算.(Nikki的態度轉為強硬)

Helen: If you ever do anything like that again...Nikki... even if I were attracted to you, which I'm not, there is no way we could have a relationship. I mean, for a start I would be sacked. Look, what I'm trying to say to you is find another....another focus for your attention. Get back with Trisha, anything. But don't waste your time on me. 如果妳再犯...尼琪...就算是我受妳吸引--事實上沒有,我們也不可能發展關係.首先,我就會被革職.聽著,我想勸妳另外找尋...其他注意力的焦點.回去找崔西亞也好.但是不要把時間浪費在我身上.(最不堪的是把錯歸到Nikki的感情飢渴)
Nikki: Well I'm sorry to have caused you so much trouble Miss. 很抱歉對妳造成這麼大的困擾.(Nikki才不接受這種羞辱,起身拉門就走)

Helen回到家,才是真正面對自己的時刻.可惜她不是迷惘,就是刻意逃避.看她出現在門框裡,又是一個進退維谷的象徵.
Sean: Hey, I thought we were supposed to be going out to dinner. 我以為我們不是要出去用餐?
Helen: Oh, shit. 糟了.
Sean: Well you better have a shower quick, we're late. 妳趕快沖個澡,我們已遲了.
Helen: Do you mind if we leave it for another time? I really don't feel like eating. 你介意我們下次再去嗎?我沒胃口.
Sean:Well course you do. Once we're there you'll be fine. 妳會有胃口的.到了餐廳妳就恢復了.(這一集Sean的強迫態度,越看越討厭)

Helen: I don't. I'd rather stay in if that's all right with you. 我就是沒有.我寧願待在家裡,和你在一起.
Sean: Are you all right? Well you don't seem yourself. 妳還好嗎?妳看起來不舒服.
Helen: I'm fine. 我沒事.
Sean: You're not regretting already are you? You know, about getting married. 妳該不是後悔了?後悔結婚.

Helen: Oh, don't be stupid.別傻了.(別裝了)
Sean: Well look, we can always put it off for a while you know, if you feel you're not ready for it. 聽著,我們可以把婚事緩一緩,如果妳覺得還不到時候.
Helen: Sean, it's only dinner that I want to put off. Look, I love you and I want to get married as soon as we can. OK? 西恩,我只是延後用餐而已.我愛你,我想要儘快和你結婚,好嗎?(Helen是張著眼睛吻Sean,想要確定吻的是誰?)

*有些影片描述到原以為是異性戀的女子,面對轉換隊伍(switch team)的關鍵,會反作用力向男伴異樣求歡,來穩固或是確認自己的異性戀傾向.<When Night is Falling 夜幕低垂>裡的女教授給了魔術師猶豫的一吻之後,轉而將前所未有滿溢的情慾發洩在未婚夫.<High Art 高檔貨>助理編輯嗑了藥,和攝影家在床上欲言又止.她便走下樓去,磨蹭著快要睡著的男友.<Imagine Me and You 新娘向後跑(四角關係)>新嫁娘在熱舞之後,與花藝師告別時的未竟之吻,隨後冷落閨房樂,激得她想用打野外的方式來重燃性趣.

Monica興奮地與Helen討論短期返家探視的安排,但是她們倆人一身素黑,反而給人不祥的預感.Monica最後向Helen表達感激:"Thank you. You know, you've made such a difference to this place, you've even got Nikki up here. We've all got faith in you. 謝謝妳.妳把這裡改變了很多.妳甚至把Nikki調上來.我們都對妳寄予厚望."

Monica還對著不遠處的Nikki喊話:"Haven't we Nikki? Haven't we all got faith in Helen? 我們有沒有,尼琪?我們有沒有對海倫寄予厚望?"

現場真是尷尬到極點.Nikki勉強擠出笑容回應:"Oh yeah, loads of faith. 是啊,充滿信心" (才怪).Helen臉一沈藉故離開,只留下Monica一臉狐疑,咀嚼著空氣中的酸味.



Dominic發現Shell的囚房出入異常,當下拉住Lorna要搜查毒品.Shell原以為和Lorna假裝搜身後,即可以躲過一劫,沒想到Dominic靈機一動,檢查鳥籠裡的水盒,搜出了禁藥.Shell一急,便說是Nikki栽贓.Dominic當然不會相信,便拿證據向Jim照會.

Jim還想護衛Shell,先是怪他先斬後奏,抄了Shell的囚房,接著取笑禁藥談不上是毒品,最後被逼急了,便推說Shell有線民的作用:
Dominic: Really? I'd say you had a bit of a blind spot where Shell's concerned. 真的?只要是講到雪兒,你就有盲點.
Jim: No, it's not a blind spot. It's called common sense. Shell's useful to me, she lets me know what's happening out there. How the hell do you think I manage to stamp on any trouble before it starts? Now you've probably turned her against me, for what, a couple of bloody tranquillisers? Jesus. 這不是盲點.這是常識.雪兒對我很有幫助.她讓我知道發生那些事.要不然我怎能防患於未然?現在你可能讓她變得和我作對,只為了幾顆鎮定劑?天呀.

Jim親自來找Shell問話,Shell供出Lorna夾帶的實情.Jim不為所動,還把Shell修理一頓.
Jim: I'm already in deep enough shite defending you. Anymore of this and I promise you, you'll be transferred out of here so fast, your arse won't hit the ground. That's after you get a good kicking from everyone, me included. 為了要保護妳,我已麻煩夠大.只要再有狀況,我保證立刻把妳遷獄,飛快到妳根本碰不到地.在那之前每個人都會好好給妳一頓教訓,包含我在內.

我一直懷疑Jim其實感覺到Lorna有問題,只是他的策略很簡單,他一定先官官相護,接著才是保護他的Fan Club.在第三季,他故意保護另一位虐待母親的女獄官,以便在適當時機能利用.

Lorna事後來看Shell.Shell給她一顆糖衣毒藥.
Shell: I hope you know what I done for you. 我希望妳明白我為妳做的一切.
Lorna: Why did you change your mind? 妳怎麼改變了心意?
Shell: Cause I like ya. I told you I weren't gonna dump you in the shit. 因為我欣賞妳.我說過不會把背棄妳.(完全臉不紅,氣不喘)
Lorna:I thought....我以為....
Shell: What, thought I was gonna tell Jim Fenner? Well I couldn't. Came down to it, I just couldn't grass. 以為我會告於吉姆費拿?我不會,總之,我不會出賣別人.(其實是他根本不信)
Lorna: I reall...我真的....
Shell: Look, just remember; I stuck to my side of the bargain.記住,我可是緊守我們的合作關係.

Lorna開心地打開門,以為自已逃過一劫,其實Shell早已準備伺機向Lorna, Jim絕地反攻.

Helen宣判Shell的處罰:"You'll be stripped of all your present privileges. You'll lose your job in the kitchen and your present spend will be halved for a period of 42 days. You'll also be moved back into G1 on Basic regime. Have you got anything to say? 妳將被褫奪現有的禮遇.中止在餐廳的工作.零用金將減半,為期42天.妳將遷回一樓基本廂房.妳有什麼要申訴的?"

Shell還是照例那些老話,連Jim都懶得幫她辯護.

鏡頭一路跟著Shell從三樓走下來,除了意味她暫時的勢力下滑,鏡頭還讓幾個主角台詞發揮畫龍點睛的效果.
Nikki: Off on your holidays Shell? Send us a postcard won't you! 妳要去渡假了嗎,雪兒?寄名信片回來,好嗎?
Crystal: That's what you get for being a lying bitch Dockley. Should have put her in solitary and chained her to the wall. 這就是妳說謊耍賤的下場,杜.應該要把她隔離監禁,而且銬在牆上.(這種處罰又太宗教偏執了)

Jim別過了頭,故意視而不見.就像他對付Rachel,如出一轍.

Shell瑟縮在簡陋的囚室中,只有Denny過來安慰她.這會兒,連Shell都陷在門框裡.她一邊哭著,一邊仍然清楚地說出戰略:"If she don't believe me, she sure as shite ain't gonna believe you is she. No, we've gotta wait till we've got hard evidence. Screws don't ever believe one of thems bent till you can really prove it. 如果她不相信我,也不會相信妳.我們要等更有力的證據.除非妳能證明,這些獄官絕不心服口服."

所以後來Shell便找了Crystal來背書,把Lorna的事情向Helen報告.


又是宵禁時刻:
Nikki: Another day gone Monica! How many you got left? 又過了一天,Monica!妳還剩幾天?
Monica: Not many I hope! What about you? 我希望沒幾天了!那妳呢? 
Nikki: Roughly? 3655! 粗略來說? 3655天!

0 意見:

 
Creative Commons License
本 著作 係採用創用 CC 姓名標示-非商業性-禁止改作 2.5 台灣 授權條款授權.